Sunday, August 27, 2006

Knitby


Yes, I'm really overdoing it with posts today but (alas) I'm not going to have much time to blog over the next few weeks: tomorrow sees my return to The Wonderful World of Retail (and with 2 overnight trips to HQ and a training day coming up in the next fortnight my time won't be my own) and I've got to write a paper for a colloquim in 3 weeks' time plus write the syllabus and prepare the first handout for a knitting course starting (subject to enrolment) at much the same time and I need to file my tax return by the end of Septmeber. So let's forget all that and talk knitting. First of all, here are the 2.5 scarves surrounded by lots of luscious new yarns from Bobbins of Whitby and magazines acquired from various newsagents in the town. the scarf on the right and the 0.5 of a scarf in the middle are made from Noro yarns acquired at Bobbins.

The scarves were inspired by the gorgeous multidrectional scarf that Annarella has made, but are knitted to my own recipe, using modular equilateral triangles with chain selvedge: no sewing up required. On the left we have the first one (cast on as the train pulled out of Cambridge, and cast off in The Shambles, a wonderful bar above the Shambles market)made from Wendy Fusion. There are some very long colour runs in this yarn, so I had several blue triangles in succession. I think I'll need to add a bit of decoration to this one (as I did with this scarf, knitted to my short row recipe, for my no-longer secret pal, Elaine). In the middle we have .5 of a scarf, knitted in Noro Silk Garden. I think I'll need just over 2 balls for this one and the colours are man-friendly (someone sitting near me has his beady eye on it). On the right is the star of the show, knitted in just two balls Noro Silver Thaw. I love this yarn. It is a wool/angora/nylon blend, so slightly more yardage than Silk Garden and the softest, most strokable feel (despite the inevitable bits of Japanese hedgerow!). Lots of people came up to ask me about this one, and I had to keep a very firm grip on it when I let people stroke it/examine its construction.

5 comments:

Liz said...

That Silver Thaw is beautiful!! (Sor are the other two)...

Elaine said...

ooh - Noro-licious post! Your scarves are just beautiful - thank you for the pattern - I have some Noro that would be perfect for it - now I just need to find the time!

Gah! my tax return - it's almost complete, just need to submit - thankx for the reminder. It's so boring isn't it? Esp. when there is pretty yarn just calling out my name...

Elaine xx

Ignoble Jen said...

Hello!

I saw your come across your beautiful scarf on SoCherry's site and I love it so much I would like to make one. Is there anyway I can pursue you to share the pattern?

In awe of your scarf loveliness
Jen

Rosie said...

Jen

Hoping to get the patterns sorted out for public consumption soon!

Ignoble Jen said...

Hurrah!!!