Sunday, May 28, 2006

Another Sunday...

...another trip to Granchester. But this time it was dry and often sunny, too. Fields still awash with cow parsley, though the flowers are starting to fade. Saw this year's first dragonfly (or maybe it was a damselfly, didn't get a close look) now I really believe that summer is on the way. We walked alongside the river this time, though the water looks really turgid due to the heavy rain of the last week. Lunch at the Blue Ball (a really unspoiled pub) followed by tea and scones at the Orchard (well, I had ginger beer, and we spilt one scone three ways). We must have missed the last of the apple blossom by a few days (still a few traces underfoot) but it is still such a relaxing place to be. How better to spend a sunny afternoon than sitting knitting in a green deckchair in the shade of apple trees? Except that I'd forgotten my knitting (which is a crochet project, truth to tell). And that I've got about 8 hours of copywriting to plough through today.

Most of the last week has been dominated by work (plus ca change...had to work 6 full days this week, same next, plus I've had about 20 hours of copywriting to do by next Wednesday morning) but managed to get to Tuesday evening's KTog and had knitting class on Wednesday. The slip stitch patterns went down really well, which I'm thrilled about as I consider them vastly underrrated. At the K Tog I fell in love with Trekking XXL (which Liz is knitting with) and can feel an order coming on. I took along some crochet (first time I've cip'd I think) and am really questioning my decision to crochet with a boucle yarn. Not ideal for a beginner, but oh, the colours (I'm using Elle Monet). Once I've made a bit more progress I'll scan some pix to show off.

Funniest moment of the week was when my husband came into the shop where I work and (after serving a customer) I called across to him from the cashdesk: "fancy a night on the town". what I couldn't see was the face of a lady who didn't realise that Graham is my husband and must have thought she'd wondered into a pick up joint! Graham quickly started talking to me (very loudly, I thought, not realising why) about groceries, family etc, then whispered to me about the poor astonished lady. After he'd gone I did explain to her and we had a really good laugh about it but can see I'll have to be more careful in future or the store could get quite an extraordinary reputation...

No comments: