Having had such a wonderful time during SP8, I've signed up for SP9. As before, it seems that I need to publish my answers to the following questionnaire.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I adore natural fibres (especially merino, silk and anyhting that felts) although mohair makes me sneeze! Until a couple of months ago, Noro Silk Garden was my favourite, but now I'm utterly smitten with Noro Silver Thaw: the angora doesn't shed and it doesn't make me sneeze. I like good quality blended yarns and do use acrylic and novelty yarns but have rather a lot of those piling up in my stash...
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a wonderful pouch for my circulars thanks to Francesca, my SP8 buddy, and assorted holders, vases, biscuit tins etc, too.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for some 30 years now. My Ma and nanna tried to teach me (tears and tantrums galore) but eventually I got a book and got on with it. I'm an intermediate knitter but really struggle reading charts.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
I like citrus scents (bergamot, lemon and grapefruit rather than orange); woody smells (cedarwood, frankincense) and spices (ginger, amber). Apples and pears are good, too.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I adore dark chocolate! Other than that, I really prefer savoury snacks or luscious cherries and raspberries. Ooo, and blueberry youghurt raisins: scrumyum!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I'm a novice crocheter but apart from darning and sewing buttons back on (sssh! don't tell my husband I'm actually rather good at those!) I don't really dablle in any craft apart from knitting. I have tried to spin with a drop spindle but my wrist screamed in pain. Would love to have a wheel and a loom (oh, and lots of spcae!) I'm quite keen to have a go at dyeing.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Rather an eclectic mix: world music (especially traditional dance); medieval, renaissance and baroque; some 20th century classical composers; folk; French cafe tunes (Charles Trenet etc); Django Reinhardt and other 1930s jazz; Cole Porter and The Rolling Stones. No MP3 facilities.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I love autumnal shades and most reds/purples/oranges/ pinks; greens (especially rather acid or leafy ones) are my top favourite; I adore the crazy mixes that Noro put together. I'm not all fond of "baby" pastels and (for reasons I cannot fathom) I've not been much into blue for a few years now.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married with a 26-year old stepdaughter and a delightful, elderly cat, Jiminey, who always manages to evade the camera.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to all the above, but I'm really particular about ponchos: they have to be very smart and to flatter me.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Small projects: scarves (love coming up with new designs), hats, gloves and baby clothes. I simply cannot make socks to fit myself. Somehow I always either make the leg too narrow (I've rather chunky legs) or the foot a bit too short (must have long toes). My (slimmer, slightly smaller-footed) sister does rather well out of my inaccuracies!
13. What are you knitting right now?
A modular scarf, using Twilleys Freedom Spirit in a glorious blend of pinks with tiny highlights of yellow and blue.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I've got very wide-ranging tastes. I can no longer use very short circs (shooting pains in the hand if I try!) but, as I knit on the bus a lot, I do love circulars and short pins, I'll often use dpns for my modular prjects. My current faves are a pair of short peace fleece needles and I love Brittanys (looks and feel). I also crave more colour...love the look of gorgeous coloured transpartent plastic needles, adore the beads bedecking peace fleece needles.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No yarn winder, but I have a creaky metal swift that belonged to my grandmother.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I hate to think! I've a nasty feeling that I've a cardigan that I sarted about 7 years ago in my attic; and that my parents' attic may harbour things from nearly 30 years ago.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
If this is holidays as in festivals, then I love harvest and spring celebrations. I'll never forget the Erdeven Onion Festival in Brittainy (France, a carnival with a parade, and lots of stalls including one with over 40 varieties of onion. there were even more types of garlic and almost as many apple ciders. I do enjoy Christmas, but as I work in a gift shop I'm usually totally exhausted.
If this is holidays as in vacations, then give me plenty of fresh air; coasts and riverside walks, scenic train journeys (especially steam trains); interesting museums (especially social history/folk life) and amazing knitting shops. Having said that, 2 of my favourite trips have been to Vienna and Stockholm!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn!!! Library book fines (must get more organised). I've also got a few frogs, hares and owls.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Books: I love anything new and inventive but have snapped up most of what I desire on publication. Can't get hold of the Twisted sisters Modular patterns in the UK, though.
Magazines:I subscribe to Selvedge (a fabulous UK textiles magazine) and buy most issues of Interweave Knits, Knitting (a UK publication) and VK. I've also fallen in love with a bizarre, arty tome called Foxy Dreamy, Yes Indeedy, which features the somewhat adult adventures (passive dope smoking, lust) of a group of knitted toys.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I try to be a sock knitter (see q12). I've got rather chubby feet, European size 40/UK 6.5-7.
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 11/02 (All Souls Day)
It really does seem rather introspective and greedy filling this in!