Tuesday, February 28, 2006

surely not?

Heard some mention on Radio 4 this evening that comedian Linda Smith had died, aged 48. Couldn't believe it, but a little bit of digging around the BBC website reveals that she had been ill with ovarian cancer for some time. Jeremy Hardy says that even when she was seriously ill she was still making her friends laugh. She certainly made me laugh and that's how I'll remember her but just at the moment I feel so sad. Ovarian cancer is the sneakiest thing, rarely making its presence felt until it is beyond treatment. There'll be a tribute edition of the News Quiz at 6.30pm on Friday. Off to do some knitting to restore my equilibrium.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Thanks for the info on the News Quiz. I was shocked by this news too - we were just talking at work that day about her recurring theme of smashing Franklin Mint statuettes of British songbirds on A Brief History of Time-Wasting. Seems very cruel...